Mahathir: Trump’s Middle East Plan Unacceptable
EghtesadOnline: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said the proposed Israel-Palestine peace deal that was announced by US President Donald Trump is “utterly unacceptable” and “grossly unjust.”
The plan, dubbed the “Deal of the Century” by Trump, hands the holy city of Beit-ul-Moqaddas on a silver platter to Israel in absolute disregard for the feelings of millions of Muslims and Christians worldwide, Mahathir said in a speech in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, CNN reported.
“This deal will only bring more conflict to the region, and will antagonize billions of people around the world,” Mahathir said at the third conference of The League of Parliamentarians for Al-Quds, according to Financial Tribune.
Trump unveiled his proposal at a White House event last month alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Palestinian officials were not consulted on the proposal. The White House approach leading to the plan has long been criticized internationally for providing Israel with quick wins while making concessions to the Palestinians contingent on a list of milestones.
Trump’s actions since taking office—including moving the US embassy to Beit-ul-Moqaddas and recognizing Israeli sovereignty of the Golan Heights—has largely benefited Israel while giving little to the Palestinians, who said the US had given up its decades-long role as a credible mediator in the peace process.