EghtesadOnline: All legal steps for the release of British-flagged tanker Stena Impero, detained by Iran in July, have been completed but the case is still open, a senior official said.
"Through the follow-up of the Foreign Ministry and the cooperation of the judiciary and the Ports and Maritime Organization of Iran, the lifting of the detention order against the Stena Impero was finalized today," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Wednesday, ISNA reported.
However, the investigation into some of its violations and the damage caused to the environment will continue, he added.
Mousavi noted that the owner and captain of the vessel have submitted a written commitment, stating that they will accept the court's decision in this regard, according to Financial Tribune.
Iranian forces seized the Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz waterway on July 19 for marine violations two weeks after British marines detained an Iranian tanker off Gibraltar. The Iranian vessel was released in August.
On Sept. 4, Iran released seven of the vessel's 23 crew members. Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom said at the time that Sweden had been in daily contact with Iran at a high political level since the vessel was seized.