EghtesadOnline: Senior officials from Iran, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia will meet on June 28 in Vienna, Austria, to discuss ways of saving the 2015 nuclear accord with Tehran, the European Union said on Thursday.
The meeting of the Joint Commission of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action on Tehran’s nuclear program will look at how to “tackle challenges arising from the withdrawal and reimposition of sanctions by the United States on Iran”, the EU said, referring to US President Donald Trump’s decision to quit the deal last year, EEAS reported.
The officials of the six countries will also consider “recent announcements by Iran regarding the implementation of its nuclear commitments”, the EU statement said, referring to Tehran’s threats to exceed limits on its enriched-uranium stockpiles before the end of this month.
The 2015 nuclear pact placed time-bound restrictions on Iran’s nuclear activities to ensure the program remains peaceful in return for the removal of most international sanctions, according to Financial Tribune.
Tehran said in May it would reduce compliance with the nuclear pact in protest at the US pullout and the remaining parties’ failure to ensure its economic interests despite their promises.
Iran has warned the European Union it has very little time to salvage the nuclear accord by providing sufficient economic incentives and circumventing US sanctions that have cut off most oil trade with Iran and hammered its economy.
Federica Mogherini, the EU’s top diplomat who helped seal the deal with Iran, said on Thursday it was “important for us to keep Iran fully compliant with its commitments”.
She also pledged to defuse tensions between Iran and the United States “to make sure that an escalation is avoided”.
Worries about a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since attacks last week on two oil tankers in the Sea of Oman, near the strategic Strait of Hormuz shipping lane.
Washington blamed Iran and the Pentagon announced the deployment of about 1,000 more US troops to the Middle East, citing concerns about a perceived threat from Iran.
Tehran has denied any involvement in the tanker attacks.