EghtesadOnline: Iran’s nuclear chief said it is unlikely that the United States would risk damaging its international credibility by stopping the implementation of its commitments under last year’s nuclear agreement.
“I think it is unlikely that the US will pull out of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action because it would hurt its political credibility in the world,” Ali Akbar Salehi also said, using the formal name of the deal.
“The continued implementation of the action plan is in the interest of us, the other side, the region and the world,” the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran said in an interview with Al-Manar on Saturday.
Iran was given relief from nuclear sanctions in January in return for rolling back its nuclear program under the deal clinched six months earlier with the six major powers.
Republicans who dominate the US Congress were opposed to the nuclear negotiations and now the implementation of JCPOA, which is seen as a signature achievement of Democratic President Barack Obama.
Hawkish legislators have made repeated attempts to undermine the historic accord. It is among the subjects of heated debate in the ongoing campaigns for the upcoming presidential election, due on Nov. 8, reports Financial Tribune.
There has been considerable speculation that a next Republican president might seriously reconsider following the pact.
Republican nominee Donald Trump threatened in July to tear it up if his presidential bid was successful, but the billionaire retracted his words later with one of his advisors, Walid Phares, saying he would not rip up but rather “renegotiate” the accord.