100 Publishers Account for 75% of All Books Published in Iran
EghtesadOnline: One hundred publishers account for 75% of all books published in Iran, while the remaining 25% are published by 1,000 publishing houses, says a member of Tehran Publishers Union.
“A total of 1,100 publishers are interested in participating in the upcoming Tehran International Book Fair,” Nader Qadiyani was also quoted as saying by IRNA.
“Costs associated with holding a book fair are estimated to stand at 500-600 billion rials [$2.1 million-$2.6 million] and overall sales are about 1,400 billion rials [$6 million], of which a fraction goes to publishers. All in all, Tehran International Book Fair is not economically viable,” he said.
Qadiyani noted that under the prevailing economic circumstances, online exhibitions would save billions of rials and give rise to better results.