INDICES
  • Samba 65 00% 56.65%
    Joga2002 635.254 50% 63.63%
    Bra52 69 23.145% -63.25%
    Joga2002 635.254 50% 63.63%
  • HangSang20 370 400% -20%
    NasDaq4 33 00% 36%
    S&P5002 60 50% 10%
    HangSang20 370 400% -20%
    Dow17 56.23 41.89% -2.635%
-

EghtesadOnline: The Energy Ministry in Tehran ruled out the possibility of a cyber-strike or sabotage on the state-run Iran Power Generation, Distribution and Transmission Company’s (Tavanir) infrastructure.

“Nationwide blackouts over the last seven days have nothing to do with cyberattacks,” Mostafa Rajabi Mashhadi, a company spokesman, was quoted as saying by Bargh News.

Compared to last year, consumption has surged beyond expectation, he said. In January 2020, demand barely approached 34,000 megawatts. It was 41,500 MW last Tuesday, up 15% compared to the same day last year. 

“Demand has surpassed 7,100 megawatts in Tehran Province and because gas accessibility is limited, load shedding and outages are likely to recur.”

Denying rumors on social media about a cyberattack on Tavanir, the official said company facilities had not been sabotaged, asserting that the firm is ready to repel hostile threats.

Although there has been no report of power cuts in Tehran over the last six days, small towns, especially in the north (Mazandaran and Golestan provinces), are experiencing regular outages.

 

Tehran Cyberattack power infrastructure