EghtesadOnline: The Central Bank of Iran and the prosecutor general have agreed to freeze fraudulent bank accounts that collect people's donations for the flood victims, the spokeswoman of Majlis Economic Commission said.
"The agreement to block dubious bank accounts will help earn people's trust and change public perceptions about the issue," IBENA quoted Zahra Saeidi Mobarakeh as saying on Sunday.
She referred to the oft-reported scams during and after natural disasters and said only trustworthy organizations should be allowed to collect donations, according to Financial Tribune.
“When natural disasters strike those in charge must be prepared with comprehensive plans and actively participate in alleviating the plight of the victims.”
So far relief has been provided for flood victims through the banks, the lawmaker said.
Heavy rain started falling in mid-March destroying lives, washing away homes and farmlands, damaging power, water and gas infrastructure in 24 provinces.
Tens of thousands of people lost their homes and businesses mainly in the north and southern regions in Golestan, Mazandaran and Khuzestan provinces.
The death toll as of April 12 was 77 people and thousands have been injured.
According to the head of Relief and Rescue Organization of the Iranian Red Crescent Society, Morteza Salimi, rescue teams have so far provided emergency services to more than 290,000 flood victims.